Loading....
Left Curtain

Theatre Seven of Chicago

Friday, April 2, 2010

Taylor Fenderbosch (and a bit of Harriet Sogin) on Stage Managing Mimesophobia

Stage Manager Taylor Fenderbosch -- with annotations from Production Manager Harriet Sogin -- on the experience of working on Mimesophobia.

What is it like to stage manage Mimesophobia, you ask? Hm. In three words: confusing, exciting, and... well, paperwork-filled.[1]

I found my way into T7 this past summer by answering a post on Chicagoplays.com for an Assistant Stage Manager. I met with Brian Golden and was immediately hooked. I knew this company was going places and I was pretty sure I wanted to tag along. By the time we hit November, however, I was pretty worn out from a show I was working on out in the suburbs. So, when Brian asked me to stage manage Mimesophobia, I was pretty hesitant.[2]

But then he told me who was involved in the show and it was pretty much impossible to say no. Margot's brilliant and engaging direction? Stojak's antics? How could I turn that down?

I am beyond glad that I accepted the opportunity, too. The rehearsal process was everything I love in theatre. From the very first days of table work, everyone in the room was intensely focused, engaged and open to sharing their thoughts and reactions to the script. Every word of Carlos' writing was a piece to the puzzle and we were all invited to try to fit it together. As rehearsals moved from the table to viewpointing exercises,[3] the ensemble really came together. It is an incredible experience to watch a group of individuals become a collective whole.

There were challenges,[4] too, of course. Moments when lines were not memorized and rehearsals were reduced to me drilling lines with the actors. I frequently compare stage management to being a camp counselor[5] and it is moments like those that really drive that comparison home. "Stojak! The rest of the cabin is waiting for you; why isn't your skit prepared?!" Ah, good times.

Challenges, however, are not limited to the rehearsal space when you are the liaison between designers, actors, and the director. Juggling the needs of all these people led, more than once, to Gmail threads the length of Homeric epics and chats with our production manager, the lovely Harriet Sogin, that lasted hours.[6] It’s not as easy as one might think to get a play on its feet…

Challenges and all, Mimesophobia makes it up there on my list of "coolest shows I’ve worked on." Even if I do have to wash Hot Pockets and peanut butter[7] off the dishes after every show... Ew.

---

[1] Taylor loves it. A lot.

[2] After all, stage managing is hard.

[3] As a stage manager, I refer to the viewpointing time as "Time to edit my paperwork" or "Time to talk to my production manager on Gchat."

[4] Theatre's hard.

[5] I compare it to trying to herd kittens into a basket. Very cute, and sweet. But they need to just stay where we tell them to.

[6] Granted, I can get a little ADD online and start shopping.

[7] I know! Actors should only eat white bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Right Curtain